The Midas data logger serves multiple purposes related to data logging.
- On the fly data compression (if required)
- Log experimental data to storage device(s)
- Handles the overall Midas System messages logging
- Collect and log the history events
- Can log special information to an external mySQL database
The data logger configuration is available in the ODB. Please refer to /Logger ODB tree for full feature descriptions.
The actual application handling this Data logging is the mlogger. It is intended to run on the backend computer (on the same node where the event buffers reside) for fast data access (no network involved).
Note: There is a Data Achiever application which provide a copy or move of the logger data. The destination being usually a remote location holding a large data storage, tape robot, etc... The reason for such secondary logger is to off-load the local disk or decouple the Data Logger application from possibly slow storage device.