> At Konstantin's suggestion, I committed the function I found for checking if a string was UTF-8 compatible to
> odb.c. The function is currently not used; I commented out a proposed use in db_create_key. Experts can decide
> if the code was good enough to use.
After more discussion, I have enabled the parts of the ODB code that check that key names are UTF-8 compliant.
This check will show up in (at least) two ways:
1) Attempts to create a new ODB variable if the ODB key is not UTF-8 compliant. You will see error messages like
[fesimdaq,ERROR] [odb.c:572:db_validate_name,ERROR] Invalid name "Eur€" passed to db_create_key: UTF-8 incompatible
2) When a program first connects to the ODB, it runs a check to ensure that the ODB is valid. This will now include
a check that all key names are UTF-8 compliant. Any non-UTF8 compliant key names will be replaced by a string of the
pointer to the key. You will see error messages like:
[fesimdaq,ERROR] [odb.c:572:db_validate_name,ERROR] Invalid name "Eur€" passed to db_validate_key: UTF-8
[fesimdaq,ERROR] [odb.c:647:db_validate_key,ERROR] Warning: corrected key "/Equipment/SIMDAQ/Eur€": invalid name
"Eur€" replaced with "0x7f74be63f970"
This behaviour (checking UTF-8 compatibility and automatically fixing ODB names) can be disabled by setting an
It doesn't matter what the environment variable is set to; it just needs to be set. Note also that this variable is
only checked once, when a program starts.