> Thu Dec 23 12:10:30 2010 [ODBEdit9,ERROR] [odb.c:3247:db_get_value,ERROR] "Name" is of type NULL, not STRING
This is caused by a race condition between client removal in cm_delete_client_info() and cm_exist().
The race condition in cm_exist() works like this:
- db_enum_key() returns the hkey (pointer to) the next /System/Clients/PID directory
- the client corresponding to PID is removed, our hkey now refers to a deleted entry
- db_get_value() tries to use the now stale hkey pointing to a deleted entry, complains about invalid key TID.
Because the offending db_get_value() is called with the "create if not found" argument set to TRUE, there is potential
for writing into ODB using a stale hkey, maybe leading to ODB corruption. Other than that, this race condition seems
to be benign.
cm_exist() is called from:
- cm_yield() calls al_check() every 10 sec, al_check() calls cm_exist() to check for "program is not running" alarms.
- in al_check() cm_exist() is called once for each entry in /Programs/xxx, even for programs with no alarms. (Maybe I should change this?)
- assuming 10 programs are running (10 clients), every 10 seconds, cm_exist() will be called 10 times and inside, will loop over 10 clients, exposing the enum-get race condition 10*10=100 times every 10 seconds. Usually,
ODB /Programs/ has many more entries than there are active clients, further increasing the frequency of exposure of this race condition.